Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cream of Mushroom Soup


This was unexpectedly the best soup I've ever made.  It was just so dang good I don't even know how to describe it.  I halved the recipe with the intention of eating a quarter today and the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, but instead I ate the whole pot in one sitting (I mean, I am a nursing mom anyway :P).  Here's how I made it:


Ingredients:  mushrooms, olive oil, butter, onion, carrot, fresh thyme, leeks, flour, white wine, half and half, heavy cream, parsley.



Cut the stems off the mushrooms.  I had pre-sliced mushrooms already on hand but if you buy whole mushrooms, cut the stems off and slice the caps.  Any kind of mushroom will do.



Chop up some onion and carrot.


Heat some butter and olive oil in a pot.


Add the mushroom stems, onion, carrots, a sprig of fresh thyme and salt and pepper.


Let that cook over low heat for about 15 minutes (sorry, forgot to get a pic of this stage).  Then add some water.


Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Let it simmer for about 30 minutes to create a rich, wonderful mushroom stock.  I believe this is what makes this recipe to die for.


When it is done simmering, strain the stock into a bowl and discard the solids.


And what you'll have is a bowl of liquid gold!


While the stock is cooking, cut the dark green parts and the roots off of the leek.


Slice it in half lengthwise.


And chop it into pieces.


Leeks tend to be really sandy, so add them to a bowl of water and swish them around a few times to remove any dirt.  Then drain them and pat dry.


Add the rest of the butter to your soup pot.  I always use a dutch oven when I make soup.  It just seems to work really well.


Add the leeks to the pot and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes.


In the mean time, chop up some fresh Italian parsley.


And some fresh thyme leaves.


When the leeks have cooked down, add the mushroom caps and cook for another 10 minutes or so.


Until they are nice and soft and have started to release some of their liquid.


Then add some flour.


And let that cook for about or minute or so, stirring, to cook out the raw flour taste.


Then add the white wine and let it cook for another minute or so until it's nice and thick.


Add the mushroom stock, thyme, salt and pepper.


Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer.  Let it simmer for about 15 minutes until it has thickened and reduced.


And now for my favorite part:  mix in the cream and half and half.


Then add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.


B-E-A-utiful!  I just love any cream of _____ soup.  But I think this one takes the cake!



Silky, creamy, YUMMY!!

Link to the printable recipe:

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Source:  Barefoot Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment