Friday, December 23, 2011

Chocolate Truffles


Chocolate + Cream = Love

I mean really, if you want someone to know you love them, just whip them up a batch of chocolate truffles.

We have started a new tradition in my family over the past couple of years where the adults make each other homemade Christmas gifts (kids still get things like iPads, paintball guns, Wii games....whatever it is kids are into these days).  So I says to myself, I says "Lori, what can you make to tell all them folks how much you love them," and I says "I know, CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES!"

Then I think to myself "those suckers will have no idea how easy they were to make....BWAHAHAHAHA!!"

But they are still amazing all the same.  I hope everyone enjoys them :)  Here's how I made them:


Ingredients:  bittersweet chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, heavy cream, assorted liqueurs (I chose Grand Marnier, Creme de Menthe and Frangelico), prepared coffee, assorted extracts (I chose vanilla and mint), cocoa powder, confectioners sugar and nuts for topping.

*Note, you can also coat them in tempered chocolate or drizzle them with tempered chocolate, or both, but I decided not to do it this time.  Maybe next time...


Add the chocolate (1 part bittersweet, 1 part semi-sweet) to a heat proof bowl.


In a saucepan, bring the cream to just boiling.


Pour the hot cream over the chocolate.  Let it set for a few minutes to melt the chocolate.


Slowly whisk it to finish the melting process.


It will slowly become more and more like a chocolate sauce.


Until it becomes a chocolate sauce.  It should be pretty and shiny.  At this point, whisk in the liqueur, prepared coffee (you won't be able to taste the coffee, but it will give the chocolate a deeper, more complex flavor) and extract.  I made 3 batches:  basic chocolate (Grand Marnier + vanilla extract), mint chocolate (Creme de Menthe + mint extract) and hazelnut (Frangelico + vanilla extract).


As Paula would say "Idn't that priattay?"  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour until firm but pliable.


Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with parchment paper.


When you take it out of the fridge, it should be firm enough to scoop into balls.


I use a small scoop.  You could use a melon baller or 1/2 tablespoon.


Scoop them out into balls (they don't need to be perfect) onto parchment paper.


Keep going until you've scooped out all the chocolate.  Refrigerate them again for about 15-30 minutes to allow them to firm up a bit.


Meanwhile, prepare your toppings.  I chose a mixture of cocoa powder and powdered sugar for the basic chocolate truffles, powdered sugar and green sugar sprinkles for the mint truffles and chopped nuts for the hazelnut truffles.  You could also dip or drizzle (or both) them with tempered chocolate.  But I didn't feel like dealing with the mess.


Take each ball and roll it between the palms of your hands to make it more ball-like.  Dip it into the desired topping and roll it around until it's coated on all sides.


And that's it!  Easy huh??  These will literally melt in your mouth.


GORGEOUS!  The hazelnut truffles are my favorite.  I hope my family enjoys them.  I know I enjoyed taste testing them! ;)

Link to the printable recipe:

Chocolate Truffles

Source:  Barefoot Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment