Saturday, May 12, 2012

Key Lime Cake with Cream Cheese Icing


I am in love with Trisha Yearwood's Southern Kitchen.  I love her show.  I love her food.  I love her.  All of her recipes remind me of things my mother and grandmother would make.  Especially her cakes.  When I saw this one I knew I had to make it.  And I'm so glad I did!


Ingredients:  lime jello, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vegetable oil, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla extract, eggs, key limes, powdered sugar, butter and cream cheese.


Mix the sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and jello in a bowl.  You could also just buy a white cake mix and mix in the jello.  It think that's what I'll do next time.


Then mix in the vegetable oil, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla extract and eggs.  The batter will turn a fantastic shade of bright neon lime green.


Turn it out into a greased and floured cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Hands down the easiest from-scratch cake recipe ever.


While the cake is baking, juice the key limes (or regular limes if you are like me and too lazy to deal with juicing  25+ key limes).


Add equal parts lime juice and powdered sugar to a bowl.


Whisk together until the sugar is dissolved to make a glaze.


As soon as the cake comes out of the oven poke holes in it with a toothpick or skewer.


And pour the lime glaze over the hot cake.


While the glazed cake cools, add the softened butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a mixer.


And cream together for about a 30 seconds or so.


Then mix in the powdered sugar on low speed until combined.


Plop it onto the cake.


And spread it to the edges of the pan.


Until it's smooth and even.


I love the freaky alien green color of this cake!


Mmm.  I would have never thought to pair cream cheese icing with lime cake.  But it's absolutely perfect.  I've also never thought of glazing AND icing a cake.  And these are just some of the reasons why Trisha Yearwood is my new hero!

Link to the printable recipe:

Key Lime Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Source:  Trisha Yearwood

No comments:

Post a Comment