Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Crockpot Baked Potato Soup


This recipe has been plastered all over Pinterest.  So I had to try it.  And I'm sooooo glad I did!  It has changed my life.  I'm now going to try to come up with my own Crockpot variations of my favorite soup recipes because it was so dang easy.  And of course, if they are good, I will share them :)


Ingredients:  frozen southern style hash browns, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, onion, cream cheese, salt, pepper and seasoned salt to taste, bacon, cheese and scallions for garnish.


Chop up some onion.


Then add it to the crockpot, along with the hash browns, chicken broth and cream of chicken soup.  If I have to critique this recipe, I will say the chunks of chicken from the condensed soup were a little freaky.  I think next time I'll use cream of celery.


Mix it all together and season with salt, seasoned salt and pepper to taste.  Don't be shy with the salt, especially if you are using low sodium soups.  Cover, turn the Crockpot to low and let it cook for 6-8 hours.


About an hour before you are ready to serve, plop in a package of cream cheese.  I would recommend breaking it up a bit so it will melt faster rather than adding it in one big hunk like I did :P


Give it one final mix.  And that's it!  I mean it REALLY could not be any easier than that!!

Now if you want to make it BAKED potato soup...


Fry up some bacon until it's nice and crispy.


And chop it up into pieces.


Grate some cheddar cheese.


And garnish your bowl with the bacon, cheese and some scallions.  This reminds me of my days as a server at Charleston's.  Baked potato soup was - and still is - one of my favorite things from there.  This was almost as good.  I'm adding this to my list of all time favorite recipes.  Thanks again, Pinterest!

Copy and paste the recipe below into Word for a printable version:

Crockpot Baked Potato Soup

Serves 4

32 oz. bag frozen southern style hash browns
32 oz. box chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. chopped onion
salt, seasoned salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. pkg cream cheese (don't use fat free...it won't melt!!)

In a Crockpot, combine everything except for the cream cheese.  Cook for 6-8 hours on low heat.  About 1 hour before serving, add the cream cheese and keep heated until thoroughly melted.  Serve with cheese, bacon bits and green onions.

Source:  Pearls, Handcuffs & Happy Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment